Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Golden Ratio and the Mayan Calendar connection.

While telling a friend at work today about QK, he brought up something I had forgotten about for a while. He was trying to remember something a friend of his was trying to explain and it had to do with mathematic ratios in nature. It triggered a memory and I knew I had read something about it. Those who know me know that's not a stretch...I read voraciously and I'll read almost anything. Anyway, I found it. The GoldenNumber.Net is a very nice site which breaks down the golden ratio and explains everything about it and its history. It also has some pretty cool tools and an interesting ad page to use the principles in the real world. The math is all there for any math buffs and it's definitely a cool curiosity. If this interests you, I would recommend the movie Pi. It's an interesting flick and tells the story of a paranoid schizophrenic who is desperately searching for a key number that will unlock the secrets of nature...And the Torah...And the stock market. I think I just identify too much with the main character, except I'm not Jewish, or schizophrenic, or well Never mind that!

Now, after that mostly unnecessary intro, I'm brought to the subject of this post (finally)(*shut up*)(what)(*I'm not schizophrenic!!!*) "Sorry...Ahem" I thought it would be fun for me to revisit the Golden Number reacquaint myself with our physical connection to mathematics. The proportional ratio is there throughout everything we see and connect with. The site also goes into the number's connection to most early cultures. It especially manifests itself in their architecture. Pictured on the site is an Egyptian Pyramid and that made me wonder if I were to cross reference the golden ratio or Phi with the Mayans and the Mayan Calendar. It seemed logical...I know the Mayans had pyramids like the Egyptians, so was the golden ratio involved in the Mayan Long Count calendar? I asked Google and got38,000 hits! Luckily, I immediately recognized one of the names near the top of the list John Major Jenkins who is in the forefront of 2012 research and is an authority on the astrology connected to the Mayan calendar...Here is his THE HOW AND WHY OF THE MAYAN END DATE IN 2012 A.D.' statement from 1994.

The first link I checked out in connecting Phi to the Mayan Calendar was a promo for one of John Major Jenkin's books: Tzolkin: Visionary Perspectives and Calendar Studies by John Major Jenkins.

His current site is worth a look, there will be a frenzy about the 2012 end date in a few years and his work will be in high demand...

There are coincidences in life, but the more mathematically ordered we discover the universe is, the fewer coincidences there will be. Looking at the golden ratio grants us an insight into some of the strangeness in the universe. It is bizarre, and for many conventional thinkers, it's uncomfortable, but all we can do is learn, critique, cross reference and continue to learn.

There are some potential hard times ahead for us and I think we're going to see earth shattering changes in the next forty years...The earth aligning with the center of the galaxy - still just a curiosity for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home